Amalga recognises the importance of environmental protection and is committed to operating its business responsibly and in compliance with all environmental regulations, legislation and approved codes of practice relating to the contract services provided and related activities. It is the Organisation’s objective to operate with, and to maintain good relations with all regulatory bodies.
It is the Organisation’s declared policy to carry out all measures reasonably practicable to meet, exceed or develop all necessary or desirable requirements and to continually improve environmental performance through the implementation of the following:
- Assess and regularly re-assess the environmental effects of the Organisation’s activities
- Training of employees in environmental issues
- Minimise the production of waste
- Minimise material and energy wastage
- Minimise the use of chemicals
- Promote the use of recyclable and renewable materials
- Promote the recycling of waste produced on site
- Reduce and/or limit the production of pollutants to water, land and air
- Control noise emissions from site operations
- Minimise the risk to the general public and employees from operations and activities undertaken.
This policy is communicated to all employees, suppliers and sub-contractors and is available for the public. In drafting and reviewing the Environmental Policy all personnel involved ensure that it:
- Is appropriate to the nature, scale and environmental impacts of its activities
- Includes a commitment to continual improvement and the prevention of pollution
- Includes a commitment to comply with the relevant environmental legislation and regulations, and with the other requirements to which the Organisation subscribes
- Provides the framework for setting and reviewing environmental objectives and targets
- Is documented, implemented and maintained and communicated to all employees
- Is available to the public and other interested parties.
For the execution of this Statement, the following organisation arrangements apply:
The Senior Manager or Supervisor on site is responsible for the implementation of this Statement and, in addition, ensures that:
- Work is carried out in accordance with all relevant statutory and regulatory requirements and this Statement, as defined in the Safety Policy and the integrated Management SysteWaste produced on site is removed to licensed disposal sites by registered carriers in accordance with all relevant statutory and regulatory requirements
- All reasonable measure are taken to control ground, river, coastal and noise pollution
- A ‘Good Neighbour’ policy is implemented
- Ozone depleting gases, including CFC’s and halon are not released
- Wildlife, flora and fauna, archaeological and heritage sites are protected
- Material wastage is minimised, recycling is promoted and energy conserved
- Environmental incidents are investigated, recorded and preventive action taken as appropriate
The Environmental Policy Statement is reviewed and approved by the Managing Director on an annual basis.
The Environmental Policy Statement describes the scope of the Organisation’s Environmental Management System and outlines the Organisation’s overall environmental goals.
The Environmental Policy Statement is displayed internally on the noticeboard(s) and issued to all interested parties in hard or electronic format, if requested.